This festival is a chance for students to demonstrate their musical knowledge and performance skills of musical theatre in a duet or solo situation. To be eligible for a Final Determination (score), each event is required to sing two selections of contrasting character. Students will sing each selection for a judge who will provide a score based on the MSVMA Musical Theatre Solo and Ensemble Rubric and provide comments regarding the performance. Two original copies of each selection must be provided, one to the to the adjudicator one to the accompanist, the accompanist may use duplicated music, but must have the second original copy at the piano. The adjudicator’s copy must have all measures clearly numbered. Failure to have the numbered measures and two original copies will disqualify the student from receiving a final determination. In this event the student(s) will be allowed to perform for comments only.
Please Note: you must complete the Musical Theatre Solo and Ensemble Form, located: here before the deadline of Friday October 6,2017 to be able to participate
All fees must be turned into Mrs. Lenze by October 6, 2017 to participate!
Please make all checks out to “WLCMB”
Dates and Location
Form must be completed and money given to Mrs. Lenze by October 6, 2017!
Performance Date: November 11, 2017
Grosse Pointe South High School
11 Grosse Pointe Blvd.
Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
Rules and guidelines
- It is expected that performers present a convincing musical performance. Cautious use of belt and using a more mixed tone is encouraged. Directors are encouraged to give careful consideration to the age appropriateness of the literature.
- Each event must perform two selections of contrasting character.
- One selection must be up-tempo and one must be a ballad in contrasting styles.
- One selection must have been composed before 1965.
- There are no required ‘books’ for this event.
- Recommended composers are:
- Harold Arlen
- Irving Berlin
- Hoagy Carmichael
- Vernon Duke
- Duke Ellington
- George and Ira Gershwin
- Jerome Kern
- Cole Porter
- Rodgers and Hart
- Rodgers and Hammerstein
- Hart and Loewe
- Arthur Schwartz
- Jule Styne
- Jimmy VanHeusen
- Vincent Youmans
- early Stephen Sondheim
- early Leonard Bernstein
- Kurt Weill
- All Soloists and Duets must perform from memory.
- Each event must provide two original copies of the selections (one for the adjudicator and one for the accompanist) with measures clearly numbered. Failure to do so will result in no Final Determination. If music was purchased online you must have two original proofs of purchase, one for each copy.
These have been taken from the MSVMA website, please click here for more information.